Ad Code




  • Awarded to incoming full-time students enrolling in the Master of Information degree;
  • High standing in previous academic work. A minimum GPA of A- (3.70/4.0) is required;
  • Recipients must remain registered full-time for the entire academic year they hold the award.

How to Apply

  • Submit a complete application for admission to the MI program by January 31 of any year. It is the responsibility of applicants to notify referees of any early deadlines for submission of documents to be considered for entrance awards consideration.

Official website

Emergency Grants

The government of Canada has provided their plan to support Students and Recent Graduates Impacted by COVID-19 To help students access all the various funding resources, the University has put together a comprehensive list:

You may also wish to review all other funding resources put together by the Canadian government here: Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan

If you find yourself in financial hardship due to the COVID-19 situation, or any other emergency situations, please know that the Faculty and University is here to help. The Faculty and the University of Toronto has grants available for emergency situations:

OSAP and other Government loans

Ontario residents: The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a government financial aid program that assists eligible Ontario residents attending university through a combination of loans and grants. Visit the OSAP website to find out more and to apply for OSAP today:

  • For UT-specific information about OSAP, visit the Enrolment Services website  and OSAP FAQs.
  • The National Student Loan Centre has also created a YouTube channel to support students in their student loan experience!

Residents of other Canadian provinces: Students who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons may be eligible for financial assistance from their provincial or territorial governments. You can visit this Enrolment Services page on how UofT could be involved in your application process with your provincial/territorial governments.

U.S. citizens or permanent residents: Eligible US citizens/permanent residents may look into applying for US Direct Loans or alternative/private loans. More details can be found on this US Loans website.

Fee Deferrals – students who have applied for OSAP, other provinces’ loans and grants, and US Direct Loans may be eligible to request a tuition fee deferral. A successful tuition fee deferral registers you for the academic year without needing to make payment immediately AND extends your deadline for paying your outstanding ACORN fees.

back to the top 

Professional Master Financial Aid (PMFA)

The Faculty of Information provides financial assistance to students through a combination of grants and awards. The PMFA, offered through the Faculty of Information, is a grant that attempts to fill a portion of the financial gap for full-time students who receive the maximum amount of government financial aid available, but whose funding doesn’t cover all university costs.


  • registered with the Faculty of Information
  • receiving the maximum amount of government financial aid available, but whose funding doesn’t cover all university costs


For students receiving OSAP, your financial need information will be sent to us directly.

For students receiving Out-of-Province student loan, you need to complete the Out-of-Province Financial Aid Application form.

Special circumstances: If there were any extenuating circumstances that you feel we should know about in considering your financial need, please contact the Student Services office to book an appointment.

Close Menu